Katie
I have decided to blog again.

I haven't blogged since I was 13 -- back when blogging was the thing to do, before the days of myspace and facebook [fyi, "before those days..." statements annoy me, and I have just annoyed myself]. To be honest [idk why I just said that, who cares whether this is an honest statement], I hadn't even thought about blogging in a long, long time -- for two years at least, after all my failed attempts at starting a new blog failed [double negative?]. Falling off the face of the earth never contributes to the survival of a blog [or pretty much anything], and apparently I have never learned not to walk off the edge of anything (including the sidewalk in front of Burlington Coat Factory, which I will never be allowed to forget, and the steps of the Extra Mart in Greene, which broke the heel off my favorite boots). I don't know what makes me think this time will be any different. I work three jobs and go to school full time, and what little free time I have left is spent procrastinating. I don't have time to write about my life. I don't even have time to have a life to write about.

But here I am, back where I woke up at 5:30 this morning, sitting on my bed with my laptop, feeling like someone who has taken 4 left turns to get Here (with a neon green arrow pointing to "Here") and has decided it is just as productive to stay Here in the first place. I don't want to do anything useful like start the 10 page paper I'm supposed to be writing about an ethical controversy, or making lunch even though my stomach is painfully empty (it's been at least 4 hours since I ate my Basic Provisions and drank a Komodo Dragon). So if I'm not going to do any of those things, I figure I may as well create a blog. It feels slightly ridiculous, like how I felt yesterday sitting in the Starbucks parking lot texting and painting my nails because I lacked the initiative to get out of my car and go inside. But it's also slightly satisfying because I am denying the suggested guidelines, which seems like a sort of accomplishment.

Everyone should deny the suggested guidelines sometime in his or her life. That's why they're guidelines and not rules.
0 Responses

Post a Comment