Katie
So just a few minutes ago I was sitting in my sister's room drinking coffee while she wandered around putting away clothes and art supplies and whatever else was randomly lying around. While she was hanging up shirts in her walk-in closet she started singing something like, "love is a battlefield, you better get your armor on," and I commented that whoever wrote that song wasn't very original. She argued that it was a brilliant song (I have never heard it so I have no idea what she was talking about anyway) and I said it couldn't be since the lyrics are the most important part of a song and if they're not original who would bother listening to it? She snorted through her nose and remarked that I shouldn't be talking since "All your favorite songs have random poets in them that no one has ever heard of." I was really confused and asked her to name one since I had no idea what she was talking about. "You know," she replied, "like that one about some guy, Oscar Wilde." I laughed so hard I nearly had coffee come out my nose. "Oscar Wilde is a playwright," I said, "And pretty much everyone has heard of him." "No they haven't," she insisted. "Um, yes they have -- even Poppy knows who he is," I pointed out. "Well that's because he probably had to study him in school." "Exactly," I said, "Because lots of people have to study Oscar Wilde in school, which is why they all know who he is!" She rolled her eyes. "Um, no. They forget. You learn this stuff and then you forget cause you never use it and who really cares. No one remembers what the capitols are of every state, do they? That's why they have that show, Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? Because no one really knows all that useless stuff anymore." I nearly died laughing. I'm not sure if it was because of what she said or the obnoxiously sarcastic tone of voice she said it in. Amy can be pretty stubborn sometimes.
0 Responses

Post a Comment